Dear staunchly conservative friends (and Dad): Please stop reading, and visit me again in two weeks. I’m serious…stop reading… this post is not for you.
On the other hand, if you are moderate conservative or if you are Bernie supporter or you are an independent voter, and you think there is a chance you might be persuaded by my “Reasons I’m Voting for Hillary Clinton” list, I welcome you.
Onward. Now that the DNC is in full swing (and with a hot mess of its own shit to deal with), I feel like it’s as important as ever that I make a public plea to people who are on the fence or who are thinking of sitting this election out or who might vote third party to ask them to please please please seriously consider voting for Hillary Clinton. And, I will tell you why as soon as I spend one paragraph discussing why I think Donald Trump is a big bully and completely unfit to be President of the United States. If I can persuade even one of those of you who is undecided or apathetic to vote for Hillary Clinton, it will be worth it.
I am very clear about my values – what I stand for – what motivates me. And this is some of what I value: kindness, compassion, empathy, love, listening, speaking up, standing up, working hard, doing my best, offering help, being thoughtful, being of service, giving people the benefit of the doubt, being inclusive, believing people should each decide what’s right for them, having hope, seeing the bright side, seeing the silver lining, being grateful and doing the right thing (to name a few).
Before I get into why I am voting for Hillary Clinton, I’ll address why I would NEVER (ever ever ever) vote for Trump. First, as far as I can tell, “working hard,” is the only thing on my list of values that Trump seems to also value. I can’t even really safely say that he values “doing his best” – though I suppose one could argue that everyone is always doing their best – no matter how shitty a job that might be. But what I know of Trump – from what he has so “beautifully” presented to the world and from the many many alarming articles/editorials/news pieces about him (my personal top three are here, here and here) – is that he is an unkind, uncompassionate, unloving, non-inclusive, narcissist, who has zero business representing – let alone running – an entire country. Never mind that there’s the unbelievably ridiculous “wall situation” (thank you, John Oliver, for helping me laugh about something that’s actually really frustrating). My painful fantasy (because how does this help me if he still gets elected) is that this whole election business is just a game to him, and he doesn’t give one single shit about actually being President, except that it would be cool to say “I’m President!” This might seem to be oversimplifying things, but he just seems like a total joke, and I do not get how anyone can still think he would be the best choice for our country’s President.
Now I’m going to tell you my top three reasons I am voting for Hillary Clinton, which incidentally, also happen to be reasons she would make an amazing President.
1. As a former secretary of state, U.S. senator, first lady, and a lifelong advocate for women and families, Hillary is the most qualified candidate for President. Without question.
2. Her Stance on the issues. One of the most important reasons I’m voting for Hillary Clinton is that her views line up with mine. If you agree with her on the subjects below, Hillary is probably your candidate.
– She understands economic inequality – and wants to fix it
– She’s pro equal rights for LGBT Americans
– She supports common sense gun law reform
– She knows the criminal justice system in this country is broken
– She wants to fix Citizens United
– She supports other women in the climb towards equality
– She believes climate change is real and has a plan to fix it.
– She’s Pro-choice
3. I’m voting for Hillary Clinton because she has demonstrated herself time and again to be a composed, respectful, hardworking, inclusive and even-tempered human being even – or especially – in the face of unprecedented, spiteful opposition. This is the the type of person I want representing this country to the rest of the world. And when I boil it down to one simple thing, this is the type of person I want to have access to the nuclear codes.
These are my top reasons… this may not be enough for you to make a decision to vote for Clinton. But if you are open to it, there is so much good information to help you make your decision, and I encourage you to do yourself the great service of investigating – of questioning. Here is a very comprehensive Google Doc put together by Wise Women for Clinton titled “So You Want to Like Hillary but You Don’t Know Where to Start.” with links to so many articles that quell points of concern.
So what do you think? Will you vote for Hillary Clinton? And if you were on the fence, has this post helped persuade you at all that she would be the best choice in this election?
Fair warning: Comments from haters will not be approved (der!), so please don’t waste your time.
In other news, I have created some “Clinton Gear” available my SHOP. Please check it out! Your purchase helps spread the word about Hillary, and helps pay for my coffee, which, except for today, I love more. 😉
City-dweller, designer, writer and lifestyle consultant practicing the art of living well in the 21st Century. Fixated with good coffee, great design, and any little thing that makes life better.